Spreets

daily deals

Monday, February 1, 2010

Sunset on the Sound of Summer

For the whole of the summer 95/96, How Bizarre blared from every car stereo, lounge and backyard in New Zealand. From the streets of Otara to the backblocks of Balclutha, Pauly Fuemana's hit song had us all moving and laughing: enjoying the sun, long luxurious days and the sense of "feel good" that summer brings.

It was sad to hear of Pauly's death on the weekend. I never wondered where his money went or what position on the US charts the song made. How Bizarre was an anthem for a great summer and whenever I hear that song, I'm moved back to that time, the people and the places. Such is the power of music. Thanks Pauly. You did that for me and I'll always be grateful.

What are the songs that have defined summer for you? What pieces became your Summer Anthems?

1 comment:

  1. That's rough, I saw a program on Pauly a while ago, and he was very upbeat on his plans and his future.

    A couple of songs that take me back to earlier times:

    Echo Beach - Martha and the Muffins

    Heart of Gold - Neil Young

    Devo - Whip it!

    Back in the USSR - Beatles

    Bowie - Sorrow, Heroes

    ReplyDelete